Friday afternoon I returned home after a quick errand, settling in for a relaxing afternoon of sewing and crochet. Maybe a spot of reading. And most definitely TV viewing. It was the last day of holidays. A moment of down time was in order.
Until a nasty altercation with the iron and a live power lead. Ouch right?
You betcha it was OUCH! I felt so stupidly STUPID after I did this!
I plugged the iron into a power cord that was plugged into a safety board that was turned ON. I know, I know - live wire = danger! Such a silly thing to do! with both cords in each hand, I started to join them and the next thing I know KA-BOOM a bright orange flash. I dropped the cord and hot footed it out of the room as orange sparks jumped crazily around my bare feet.
Yelling at Miss K to go get her father, I rushed to put my blackened hand under running water. It wasn't hurting, but it was covered in black soot and there was a distinctive orange burn mark around my fingers from the copper within the power cord. I imagine the electrical current found a weak spot & conducted against my wedding rings :O
It left quite the scorch mark upon the floor! Thankfully this happened in my craft room which is fully tiled.
A visit to the chemist who sent me to the GP, a clean and two nicely bandaged fingers later I was starting to feel the pain. All in all - I was pretty darn lucky. Lesson 139 - make sure power is switched OFF before connecting power leads or electrical appliances.
And the iron? Perfectly fine after that little episode… though I am maintaining that ironing is a health hazard and apart from using it for quilting, it should be banned from housewives all over the country!